Friday night is often taco night in my household. It’s quick, easy and delicious. My perfect recipe to start the weekend. These black bean tacos are full of flavor and so satisfying. We like to load them up with vegan sour cream, daiya cheddar cheese and avocado. A full meal in a taco shell! Continue reading →
All posts tagged vegan sour cream
Tacos are a well-loved dinner around here, if I served them every night I’d get no complaints. Since I know everyone will eat anything taco related, I’ve gotten creative with how I serve them. I call these taco balls. I serve them with salsa and sour cream (recipe follows), or over a bed of lettuce like a salad and sometimes I put them into a pita and serve it like a sandwhich.
These also make a great appetizer. Just make them a bit smaller and serve them with dipping sauces, such as sour cream, guacamole or salsa.
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
6 tablespoons water
1 cup corn meal
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese (I use Daiya)
2 hard taco shells, crushed
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
4 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a small bowl add the flaxmeal and 6 tablespoons of water, mix well and set aside. Poor the corn meal on a flat plate and set aside.
2. In a large bowl add the black beans and mash with a potato masher or fork.
3. Once the beans are mashed, add the flaxmeal mixture, cheese, crushed taco shells, green onions, cilantro, chili powder, cumin; mix thoroughly.
4. Form the bean mixture into balls then roll it around on the plate with the corn meal, covering all parts of the taco ball with the corn meal.
5. Put the taco balls on a flat plate, cover and refrigerate for about an hour. This step helps the taco balls stay firm when you cook them.
6. Heat the olive oil on medium high heat and fry the taco balls, turning to cook on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Serve
Sour cream (from: refresh, by Ruth Tal)
2 cups of hard tofu
3 Tbsp of sunflower oil
3 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp of raw sugar
1/2 tsp of sea salt
2 Tbsp of filtered water
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.