For most people, making the transition to a vegan diet can be daunting. How do I begin? What will I eat? Will I get enough protein in my diet?
While some people are able to dive right in and never look back, others would rather take it one step at a time. If you fall into the latter category (which I did), here are some tips for you.
Tofurky Italian sausage
Minify the meat
First start by eliminating red meat from your diet, Continue reading →
1. Flaxseed meal: I use this as a substitute for eggs. 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water equals one egg. Just mix together and let it sit for a few minutes before using.
2. Dates: I use this instead of processed sugar. I cook these for about 25 minutes with a little bit of vanilla extract, then blend them in a food processor.
3. Unsweetened applesauce: This can be used in baked goods in place of oil. I usually use it in place of half of the oil (1 to 1 ratio). It’s best used in recipes that are oil based rather than butter or margarine based.
4. Almond milk: I drink this instead of cow’s milk.
5. Earth balance: This is a great butter substitute and perfect for spreading on toast. I use this whenever a recipe calls for butter (1 to 1 ratio).
6. Cheese: Daiya shredded cheese comes in 2 flavors mozzarella and cheddar and it’s the closest I’ve found to regular cheese so far.
7. So Delicious coconut milk creamer: This is in my coffee every morning. You don’t need as much as you do with half and half and it’s super creamy and delicious.
8. Coconut oil: This is another substitute I use for butter. My favorite use for this is in peanut butter cups!
9. So Delicious yogurt: Perfect to use instead of regular yogurt. The texture isn’t quite as thick but it is delicious.
10. Carob chips: I usually use these instead of chocolate chips. They are sweeter than regular chocolate chips so you need to add less sweetener in your recipes when you use this.