I know what you are thinking, a chocolate cake made of beets, carrots, fruits and dates, no thank you! I, too, was very skeptical about this recipe. Even as it came out of the oven I wasn’t sold on it. It wasn’t until after it cooled down and was topped with the delicious icing that I started to get excited about this cake! Yes, this is not a decadent, overly sweet chocolate cake, but it’s a very healthy, very tasty cake that won’t leave you with a sugar hangover.
I’m pretty excited my five year old thinks this cake tastes delicious. She has no idea how healthy it is and I’m thinking I won’t share that with her just yet.
The beet color begins to take over
Once the cakes are out of the oven and cooled down the color is a little more normal.
I liked this cake so much it ended up being my lunch!
- 1 2/3 CUPS WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 3 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
- 3 1/2 CUPS PITTED DATES, DIVIDED
- 1 CUP PINEAPPLE CHUNKS IN OWN JUICE, DRAINED
- 1 BANANA
- 1 CUP UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
- 1 CUP SHREDDED BEETS
- 1 CUP SHREDDED CARROTS
- 3 TBSP COCOA POWDER
- 1/2 CUP DRIED CRANBERRIES
- 1 CUP CHOPPED PISTACHIO NUTS
- 1 1/2 CUPS WATER
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP RAW CASHEWS, UNSALTED
- 1 CUP ALMOND MILK
- 2/3 CUP PITTED DATES
- 1/3 CUP MACADAMIA NUTS
- 2 TABLESPOONS COCOA POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.
- MIX FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, AND BAKING SODA IN A SMALL BOWL AND SET ASIDE. IN BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR, PUREE 3 CUPS OF THE DATES, PINEAPPLE, BANANA, AND APPLESAUCE.
- SLICE REMAINING 1/2 CUP DATES INTO SMALLER PIECES SO THEY ARE A LITTLE CHUNKY.
- IN LARGE BOWL, MIX THE CHOPPED DATES, BEETS, CARROTS, COCOA POWDER, DRIED CRANBERRIES, PISTACHIO NUTS, WATER, VANILLA AND FLOUR MIXTURE.
- ADD THE BLENDED DATE/FRUIT MIXTURE AND MIX WELL.
- SPREAD IN 2 ROUND BAKING PANS NONSTICK BAKING PAN.
- BAKE FOR 1 HOUR OR UNTIL A TOOTHPICK INSERTED INTO THE CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN. LET THE CAKES COOL FOR A BIT THEN TURN CAKES OUT ONTO A WIRE BAKING RACK. THE EASIEST WAY TO DO THIS IS TO PUT A LARGE CUTTING BOARD ON TOP OF THE PIE PAN AND THEN FLIP BOTH OF THEM OVER AND SLOWLY TAP THE CAKE OUT ONTO THE CUTTING BOARD.
- USING A HIGH POWERED BLENDER, COMBINE ALL ICING INGREDIENTS UNTIL SMOOTH AND CREAMY. SPREAD THE ICING ALL OVER THE TOP OF THE BOTTOM CAKE AND THEN CAREFULLY PLACE THE TOP CAKE ON TOP AND SPREAD ICING OVER THE ENTIRE CAKE. CUT AND SERVE!